Welcome to Preschool!
We believe children learn best when they are given the opportunity to explore and discover in an atmosphere where they feel safe, accepted and loved. Learning occurs naturally when children's interests and passions are captured.
Authentic relationships with children and their families. This is Gateway Village.
Our educators strive to stimulate intellectual development through teacher-directed activities that accommodate interest levels, learning styles and attention spans. We work to help children develop positive patterns of interaction with others, an excitement about learning and a strong sense of self. Relationships are nurtured through small class sizes and our teacher to child ratios exceed state licensing standards.
Q: How many students per class?
A: Our 3s classrooms will have 8 students and our Pre-K program will have 10 students.
Q: Do you plan on increasing the class size to accommodate more students?
A: We are currently full this school year and have maintained a small class size to allow for social distancing as required by VDSS. We intend to maintain the same class size for the 2021/2022 school year and will look into expanding the class size if the restrictions are lifted.
Q: Can I register my child to attend 2 or 3 days a week?
A: To maintain best practices during this season we are currently operating the Monday through Friday schedule only and plan to do the same for the 2021/2022 school year. We will open up the part time schedule when it is safe, and we have the opportunity to do so. If part-time schedules become available and you decide to decrease from 5 days per week to 3 or 2 days per week. Please note that a $150 change fee will apply.
Q: Do you have lunch time as part of the daily schedule?
A: Students will have lunch in school but are required to bring lunches (nut free) from home. Gateway Village will be providing 2 nut free snacks during our snack time. We are a nut free preschool. We do not allow food that has nuts, traces of nuts, or processed in a facility that processes nuts.
Q: Are the children required to wear masks all day or only while they are in hallways, restrooms, etc.? Do they have to wear masks while sitting at their desks?
A: Your child will need to wear a mask, but can take it off when six feet physical distancing is maintained. They can also take it off when they are outside. However, it will be required if six feet cannot be maintained—hallways, during transitions, etc.
Q: What are your health and safety practices?
A: The following best practices will be implemented:
- Physical distancing - the students will be seated 6 feet apart and social distancing will be maintained as much as possible and encouraged throughout the day.
- The same groups of children will be maintained daily.
- Small class sizes to maintain proper health and safety procedures.
- Cloth face coverings - masks are recommended, unless for reasons documented by a medical professional. All teachers and staff will be wearing masks.
- Daily health screening to include symptom-check questionnaires and no-touch temperature checks for staff and students. Health screening will be done in the morning during drop-off.
- We will limit the use of supplies and equipment to one group of children at a time; clean and disinfect between use. Sharing of devices will be discouraged.
- Enhanced hygiene, cleaning, and disinfecting practices.
- The students will be provided with opportunities for frequent hand washing.
- Hand sanitizers will be made available in the school, but children will also need to have hand sanitizers in their bags as well.
- Access inside the building will be limited. All drop-offs will be done via our Kiss & Ride. For pickups, parents will be able to drive by the building entrance and a staff member will bring the child to the door.
- Students will bring their nut free lunches from home, and we will be providing nut free snacks.
Q: When is the first day of school?
A: The 2021-2022 school year will begin on Tuesday, September 7, 2021. We follow the LCPS school calendar for holidays and weather closures.
Q: Do I need to be a member of Gateway Community Church to enroll my child in Gateway Village?
A: While we'd love for you to join our Sunday services, you do not need to attend or be a member of Gateway Community Church.
Q: Our family is not Christian, will my child be required to participate in religious activities?
A: You or your child will never be asked to participate in anything that feels uncomfortable. We are a ministry of Gateway Community Church and therefore will introduce Christian beliefs to our students. This might look like a short prayer of thanks before snack, or a craft associated with a Bible story.